Hurt in the Dirt

Hurt in the Dirt

Friday, January 28, 2011

Addicted...Really?!?

This unbelievably warm January weather is quite deceiving! The warm sun looks so inviting as I sit inside looking out. However, once I don my warm riding gear and hit the trails...I am greeted by mucky, horribly sticky MUD. You know the kind that cakes to your tires and inhibits any spinning of the wheels because the mud is instantly 3 inches thick on the tread. Your bike goes from 21 lbs to 40 lbs in a matter of 2 pedal strokes. Bahhhhh! The trails are great when they are hard-packed with snow, but 40 degree days melt that nice riding surface to an impassable swamp. Unless I want to live on the trainer, I'm left with two options: 1) Cold road rides on pot-holed, winter damaged roads or 2) Head South for dry dirt! This weekend I'm going with option number 2. The 60 degree weather and dry trails of St. George are calling my name.
Because the last week of recruiting riding partners to accompany me failed miserably (thanks a lot friends), I plan on flying solo on the Hurricane Rim/JEM trail on Sunday. Saturday will be an all out torture fest I'm sure. Conveniently, Nicky Wangsgard, a member of the Primal women's road team, who also happens to be my coach, will be dragging me around on the road bike. She is nearly race-ready and is sure to hand me a big time a$$-kicking! Lets just say my power meter never sees the numbers we're in for this weekend!
So I'm leaving my hard-working husband behind and missing out on Ogden's Winterfest (a great party if I do say so myself) for some Spring-like weather in St. George. Its a little crazy to me that for 20+ years I loved winter and couldn't get enough powder days on the skis/snowboard and now all I want is warm weather and dry trails. My friend Dr. Jeff Harrision (an AVID skier, yet fellow Leadville 100 finisher) tells me "You have a serious problem that needs intervention. You are addicted!" Yes, Jeff... I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment