Hurt in the Dirt

Hurt in the Dirt

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Off to Sea Otter

Well it has been an incredibly long 3 weeks since my last race at Fontana. I've managed to stay healthy for the most part and have been finalizing the last couple of tweaks on my bike. In addition, I've been putting in some  quality time pedaling. Despite quite a bit of rainy weather, the Shoreline trails have ranged from a few mud puddles here and there to amazingly tacky and fast. The road bike has also been out a bit due to the Rooster's/Biker's Edge team starting their group rides, a perpetual torture fest week after week chasing the Cat1/2 roadie guys!

A few of the local O-Town riders out for the weekly group ride. Don't worry, I didn't make my cute dog chase us. He just likes to pose for pictures!


I'm feeling well and hoping that all crashes and mechanicals are behind me and I've received an outpouring of support and well-wishing from my friends and family after my last sob-story post! How could I not feel good going into this weekend? I'm pretty excited to be submerged in the famous Sea Otter environment. I've always wanted to make the trip to Monterey as a spectator so its pretty cool to finally be attending.

I'm also pretty excited to have my dad in the mix of spectators! Oddly, he has never seen me race a mountain bike. He was exposed to cyclocross in his own backyard last fall at Moose Cross in Victor, Idaho but because of his busy summer work schedule and "life's curve balls" we've both had the last couple of  years, it has just never happened. He also sounded pretty excited when we talked on the phone today, but I think he is a little giddy about the "conveniently" close proximity to Pebble Beach golf course! He is after all a golf pro jonesin' for warm weather as the everlasting Winter continues to dump snow in Jackson.

So its back in the car for our third trip to California in about a month's time. It's pretty sad when I drive to Las Vegas now I think the seven hour drive is "short". Speaking of Vegas, I just got back from a road trip there about 48 hours ago. A few of my Rooster's/Biker's Edge buddies went down to compete in the Xterra West Championships and I figured I would tag along and get out of the rain to ride in the sunshine. On Saturday I rode at one of my faves, Blue Diamond. I met up with my friend and fellow racer Erica Tingey and her hubby for a morning ride. It was most enjoyable to ride those fabulous trails in such great company! Later that afternoon I caught up with the triathletes to pre-ride the Xterra course. I'll be politically correct and just say it was less enjoyable than Blue Diamond...much less. Not because of the company with which I rode, but because of the terrain--I'll leave it at that! Those of you who have participated in that race know what I mean!

Erica and I at the top of Techno
On Sunday morning as the Tri-geeks took the plunge into the freezing cold Lake Las Vegas, I mounted my trusty road bike for a spin around Lake Mead. It was nice to spend a little time soaking up the desert sun, listening to some music, and not having to worry about cars speeding by. Since it was fairly early and cold by Vegas standards, there were very few people on the perfectly paved bike path which made for sightings of jackrabbits and coyotes. One of the best sights however, were blooming cacti everywhere. Spring is such a great time to visit the desert! After my calming stroll, I returned mentally refreshed and ready to cheer on my friends as they crossed the finish line one by one. I felt quite content as we made the "short" seven hour drive home!



Lake Mead


Feeling both mentally and physically refreshed after my long three week break from racing, I once again have high hopes for the Sea Otter races. Yet another new race to add to the list! I'm looking forward to meeting some of my other teammates as well as some of the Jamis folks that Jason speaks about so often. I just hope I eventually get used to the pace of whirlwind race weekend trips dispersed throughout my medical career!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for joining me for the ride, we had a great time riding with you!

    ReplyDelete