Hurt in the Dirt

Hurt in the Dirt

Saturday, March 12, 2011

And That's How the Pros Roll!

Well, its all said and done. I've completed my first race as a pro! Wow! I hate to sound like an amatuer (ha ha) but I am blown away by the pace of the podium racers. I get it, they get paid to ride their bikes, don't have school 5 days a week, and have all been pros as long as I've been racing. However, these girls have some amazing legs and lungs!

The trip started on Thursday as we lolly-gagged our way to Hurricane and stopped for a quick spin in the JEM trail. This was the maiden voyage on a Jamis bike! I was stoked after the bike worked well and my legs felt pretty good. But, all to soon it was back to the van to finish the drive. On Friday we slept in and eventually rolled up to the venue for registration and pre-riding. You know you are a rookie when you get butterflies in your belly just showing up to the venue! After a short stint working on wheel-brake alignment, it was chamios-time and were off to test our legs on the course. After one lap on the short 5K loop I knew I was in for some pain! This course was world cup style- in a city park with short steep climbs and descents, and not a single flat section! Just a bunch of 1-2 minute interval hills. Not my style of riding...especially in March...for my first race! Before I knew it the sun was setting and my days of counting down were over, the long awaited day was upon us.

Saturday morning at 5 am I was wide awake and pumped with adrenaline. I forced myself to stay in bed until 7:15 and could no longer take it so I went downstairs for some breakfast. When we arrived at the venue I was pretty sure I hadn't eaten butterflies for breakfast though my belly begged to differ. I suited up and off to warm-up. The women's field was small, only about 20 of us. However, there were some big names with impressive resumes so I have to admit I was a little star-struck. Call ups began-my name was announced DEAD LAST! Welcome to the pros baby! I glanced down at my heart rate monitor to see that my nerves really were as bad as I thought. My heart was running at a cool 100 beats per minute, more than double my resting rate! Crap, I'm standing here waiting to go with a jacked heart rate and feeling like I'm going to pee in my chamios. The whistle sounded and finally the moment of truth had arrived. The pace was quick right from the start and my legs were burning after the first lap. With three laps to go I was blown, just hanging on for dear life. The course was really hard to find any flow because I was either throttled to the max or descending. With 1 1/2 laps to go I could hear the lead moto closing in - AKA I was about to get lapped! When I had about 1/8 of a mile left I turned around to see Georgia Gould. I had a decision to make 1) Sprint ahead and get to the start/finish ahead of her to suffer through the last lap or 2) step aside and let the champion pass for her celebratory finish and essentially get pulled from the race. I went for #2. I was blown and I still had super D and short track waiting for me. It was really nice when I returned to the team van with my head down and tail between my legs to have Brandon there with open arms just as supportive and proud as any other race. It's something I don't always appreciate when I win, but was essential today.

I sucked down a much needed recovery drink and chowed down some food just in time for the pro men start. Three of my teammates were racing and I was wanted to sit in the feed zone to watch and rest up for super D. The longer I sat in the warm claming sun the less I wanted to suit up for super D. I had already suffered through my first XC race and now I had no idea what to expect from my first super D course. I reminded myself that it would be 10 minutes or less of suffering and then I could go to bed! Sarah Kaufmann and I sat atop the start laughing and chatting which helped calm my nerves. Honestly, I think I was less nervous simply because I was too tired to be. Anyway super D went well. There were fewer girls since only about half of our field showed up. I pushed through the short but hilly course as fast as my legs would allow and I finished with a smile on my face. It was a LONG day and we were all ready for it to end as we packed up the van and headed off to the hotel for a long awaited shower and dinner. On the drive home Sarah called and informed me that I had taken 5th place in the Super D race. Not too bad. It was nice to end the day with some good news.

All in all I had a great experience. I am a little disapointed by the XC result but its early season, it was my first pro race, and I made it out alive! I learned a lot from this race. But maybe most importantly, the fire is now buring strong to get back to training as to progress out of early season shape and into mid-season shape. Thanks for all the texts and calls before and after the race. I'm am truely lucky to have such great family and friends.
Yes, I'm in the granny gear! Jason has already provided a lecture in response to my wimpy-ness!

No comments:

Post a Comment