Hurt in the Dirt

Hurt in the Dirt

Monday, March 7, 2011

Brandon, can you pass the Dayquil?

Its been a steady diet of Dayquil/Nyquil over the past few days in the Bingham household.  Had I purchased a large chunk of stock in Vicks prior to the both of us being sick I'm pretty sure I'd own half the company by now. I think we're on the third box of Dayquil and second box of Nyquil and still going strong. Brandon and I are a sorry sight with our continuous symphony of sniffles, sneezes, coughs, and nose blowing. We've each taken a turn spending the night in the extra bedroom trying to be considerate for the other person, realizing that coughing or blowing your nose repeatedly cannot be achieved quietly - no matter how hard you try!

My morning dose of vitamins and cough meds!

I have been sick a ridiculous amount of times since Halloween. For the past couple of months I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why, for the love, have I been sick so many damn times? Honestly! I went years, yes years, without so much as a sniffle. Now I have been getting sick once a month for like 5 months straight. Well, I think I figured it out.

You see my life was pretty stress free up until starting PA school. Everyday I went to work at a simple, stress-free job and rode my bike when I felt like it, took naps- easy peasy! Then things changed when I tossed that carefree life aside for PA school. The first year of PA school I was a mess. Apparently I thought it would be a good idea to take cycling a little more serious at the same time I was going to change careers...for the record, not a good idea! Plus, I had a 2-hour round trip commute to SLC 5 days a week so that I could sit in a classroom for 8 hours a day AND I was a bit remorseful that I had thrown away a career that provided a perfectly good paycheck. Long story short, I cried...a lot! Brandon had seen me shed but a few tears in our five or so years together, so this came a quite a shock to him. However I'm convinced that all my crying was an outlet, although not the best, never the less an outlet for all that "stuff"! I never got sick that first year of school. As my first three semesters quickly passed I adjusted, learned to use the bike a little more as my outlet, and transitioned from the classroom to the clinical setting. I thought I was off the hook, smooth sailing, no more tears of stress- right? Well, this meant long hours in the clinics and hospitals, a masters project, and squeezing in just enough training to upgrade to pro! Well since then, there have been no tears, instead lots of coughs and colds! Damn! I guess the tears were good? I can't bring myself to reverting back in order to test the theory, crying is just not my style. However I'm at the breaking point. If I get sick one more time...I swear, I just might have to have myself a good cry! I willing to try just about anything.

On a more positive note (geez, I'm such a downer today!) Bonelli Park is this weekend. Brandon and I plan on packing up with Jason Sager in the Jamis team van and road trippin' it to California. Sunshine here we come! Not to brag, but the forecast is temps in the 70's and all sun! I can't wait to get out of the winter! Even if it is only for a few days. So, I'll continue to worship the sun and bike gods if my friends will send "get better" vibes in the direction of the Bingham house! Hopefully in conjunction we can put together a successful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment